It won’t kill Coronavirus. But when I drink this simple green juice regularly (one glass in the morning as breakfast, or with a light breakfast every day) I seem to get fewer colds and flu!
The Immune-Boosting Powers of this Simple Green Juice
Drinking your vegetables is a fantastic way to get more nutrients into your diet. When you think about all the ingredients in this immunity-boosting juice, it would take some effort and time to chew through it all. In juice form, not only can you drink it down quickly, but it is so much easier to digest, therefore the nutrients can go to work in your body much more quickly.
So, why is this juice so great for immunity against viruses, colds and other sickness?
Parsley is pretty great for strengthening your immune system. Two tablespoons of parsley provides:
- Vitamin C (16% RDI) – a powerful antioxidant, essential for your immune system and heart health.
- Vitamin K (154% RDI) – supports bone and heart health as well as blood clotting.
- Vitamin A (12% RDI) – another key nutrient for immunity, plus it’s essential for good skin and eye health.
Spinach is one of the most nutritious leafy greens you can have. It contains a nice helping of:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin K
- Folic acid
… and that’s not an exhaustive list!
There is so much goodness in spinach that I try to have some every day, whether in juice form, in a smoothie, a salad or cooked up as part of my meal.
The humble cucumber’s health benefits may surprise you. They are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients, which are plant chemicals thought to help prevent disease and inflammation. They are also wonderfully hydrating.
In the seeds and peel are valuable nutrients so never discard those – especially in a green juice or green smoothie, but even keep them whole in your salads and snacks.
Mineral salts in celery are thought to be incredibly supportive of the body’s natural defense system. By reinforcing the strength of your white blood cells, celery supports the liver in its fight against bacteria as well as its detoxification process.
Celery is so underrated!
It’s well known that lemons contain a nice big dose of our friend Vitamin C (31% RDI in a quarter cup of lemon juice). This is an essential element in boosting immunity and preventing colds and viruses taking hold, but it can also reduce the severity and encourage faster recovery if you do get sick.
Not only do lemons boast super high levels of the antiviral Vitamin C, they are also known to have antibacterial properties, helping you ward off potential bacterial infections and overgrowth.
Apple is another highly anti-inflammatory plant food. In particular, the soluble fiber in apples has been shown to transform the behavior of immunity cells, resulting in profound reductions in the severity of illness, and a significant speeding up of the healing process.
Apples have also been shown to reduce asthma symptoms, and yes, keep the doctor away when eaten regularly, by reducing the need for some prescription medications.
Ginger has been used for centuries as a medicinal herb in traditions like Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda. Its healing properties have been widely studied and are pretty miraculous.
Due to its anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is used both as a preventer and healer. Its close relative turmeric is also a wonder root. The health benefits of these flavorsome plants cannot be understated.
Simple Green Juice or Simple Green Smoothie – You Choose
To get this wonderful immune-boosting concoction into my system, I usually make it as a juice. Bot not everyone has a juicer, so fear not! Here are 3 ways you can make this nourishing green elixir:
- Juice: If you have a juicer, you are all set. Just stuff each ingredient into your juicer and you’re good to go.
- Smoothie: If you have a blender but not a juicer, just blend these ingredients with some filtered water or coconut water for a delicious green smoothie. This will be thicker than a juice. Since ginger is quite fibrous, a high-speed blender will work best. You can also make a tea from steeped ginger and let it cool, remove the ginger and use in your blender, or omit the ginger if you prefer.
- Strained juice: Make a smoothie in your blender as above, then use a nut mylk bag or muslin/cheese cloth to strain out the fibre. This is a little hack for when you really want a juice but only have a blender!
Simple Green Juice for Immunity
- Juicer or high-speed blender (plus nut mylk bag or muslin cloth to strain)
- 100 grams parsley
- 200 grams spinach (or any leafy green of your choice)
- 500 grams cucumber
- 250 grams celery
- 1 lemon
- 2 apples
- 25 grams ginger
- Add all ingredients to your juicer or blender. (You can keep the lemon whole if you are juicing, but peel it and remove pith and seeds if blending or it can taste very bitter.)
- If you are using a blender, strain the smoothie into a glass using a nut mylk bag or muslin/cheese cloth. If juicing, pour into a glass and enjoy!
- Repeat daily for best immunity benefits.