Let’s Talk About Alcohol
How much is too much alcohol? How many drinks should I have?
Not everyone drinks alcohol. It might even be taboo to talk about in some cultures. But for those who drink, it is important to know how much is too much alcohol.
When you’re traveling, you might over-indulge. If I am visiting a wine country somewhere, then I will drink more wine than I usually would on a regular week. I am fascinated by wine production and how from a simple grape people produce the most interesting wines.
But I still drink responsibly, and try to keep things moderate. As soon as I am back home I detox and stop living like I’m in a vineyard.
And yes, below is my current read and sunset Aperol Spritiz.
How Much is Too Much Alcohol, “Officially”?
According to the US National Institute of Health:
* For Men: No more than 4 drinks on any day, or No more than 14 drinks in 7 days
* For Women: No more than 3 drinks in any day, or No more than 7 drinks in 7 days
* “Binge” Drinking is defined as: 5 drinks in 2 hours for men, 4 drinks in 2 hours for women.
It is best to drink moderately. Meaning, 2 drinks or less in a day for men or 1 drink or less in a day for women.
I prefer that my clients do not drink every day. I prefer for myself that I don’t drink every day.
Reasons To Moderate Your Alcohol Intake
- Alcohol is extra calories. If you are trying to lose weight and not counting the extra calories from alcohol, you will not achieve your goals.
- Excessive drinking has been linked to cancers, immune system issues, memory loss, mental health issues and more.
- Alcohol can be addictive and can cause a host of other family and social issues if consumed excessively.
If you’d like to change your alcohol intake, start by setting small goals around it.
Want to learn more, or want some accountability on your health goals? Reach out now for your FREE health plan call.